Rent a room relief – Tax Saving Tip

Rent a room relief – Tax Saving Tip

Rent a room relief – Tax Saving Tip 150 150 Ralph Smith

Rent a Room Relief – where a room (or rooms) in a person’s principal private residence is let as residential accommodation, gross annual rental income of up to ?10,000 (?7,620 in 2007) is exempt from tax. This does not affect an individual’s entitlement to mortgage interest relief or CGT exemption for a principal private residence.

To get rent a room relief:

The total (gross) rent you get from your tenant (or tenants), which includes sums the tenant pays for food, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed ?10,000. If you get rental income over and above this amount, you are not entitled to the relief
Your home must be in Ireland and must be occupied by you during the year of assessment as your principal private residence.
You cannot deduct expenses from your rental income to qualify for rent a room relief. If you qualify for rent a room relief, the income you get from renting a room in your home is not liable to PRSI, the health levy, the income levy or income tax. However, it must be included on your annual income tax return.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact Ralph on or 0863336665

Remember to check if you are due a tax refund on

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact us
close slider